The James McCune Smith Scholarships fund Black UK domiciled students to undertake research at the University in any research area in which they can offer supervision. They provide an enhanced experience through external mentors, placements, leadership training, community-building activities and networking opportunities.
Application Deadline: 31st January 2023
Eligible Countries: International
Value of Award: The funding covers stipend (est £18,022 for 2023 entry) and fees for up to four years
Number of Awards: 10
- You must be a UK domiciled Black African, Black Caribbean, Black Other, Mixed White and Black Caribbean, Mixed White and Black African, or other mixed background (to include Black African, Black Caribbean or Black Other). Applying does not prevent you from applying for other schemes to obtain a funded place.
Hoe to Apply:
- Look at the research interests of staff at the University of Glasgow so that you can suggest a research area and a supervisor. If you can’t find a supervisor we are happy to help you.
- Submit a completed Expression of Interest form so that we can assist you in your application.
- Follow the application process, beginning with contacting potential supervisors. When contacting a potential supervisor, be sure to state that you wish to apply for a James McCune Smith Scholarship as one of the options for funding. The topic of research for a James McCune Smith Scholarship is decided by the applicant in conjunction with their potential supervisor.
- Submit your personal statement via our Scholarship Portal. The personal statement should be up to 500 words on your research interest and why you wish to be a James McCune Smith Scholar.
- You also need to submit an application on the University’s MyCampus system. Please name the James McCune Smith Scholarship as one of the funding options under Finance in the online full application. The deadline for applications is 31 January 2023 but earlier submission is encouraged.
We are keen to support you through the application process and to help you navigate this. If you need any assistance at all then please email: JMSPhD@glasgow.ac.uk